· Start with enthusiasm
· Pre-set achievable goals before starting the reading. (For instance: “I’ll attentively read and highlight these two pages”.
· Read the titles before imagining or beginning to understand what this is about.
· Transform all titles into questions and highlight the possible answers in the text.
· Generally, what is written in Bold is important.
· Highlight all the words you think are essential. These words alone can give meaning to a whole paragraph.
· Don’t highlight articles such as “the” and “a” or adjectives qualifying the key words.
· Stare at the pictures attentively, or any other graph, illustration or photograph (these tend to clarify ideas).
· When you encounter a word you don’t know, search in the dictionary or try to understand its general meaning by reading the whole paragraph.
· Understand that your opinion or point of view is very important when it comes to comprehend what you are reading.